Thursday 10 July 2014

Svelte Chicken Lives.... for a boys day in

18/3/2014

Ok, so It’s Friday and my Darling and my flock of the fairer sex are going to be out on Saturday for the day.

Little EM is going to a girl guides camp cook thing to help someone prepare for a badge, and the Light of my life and Sam are going to take the opportunity to go shopping (shopping for things that boys don’t consider to be fun..).
 “Would you like to come?” asked my Darling.
“Shall we go shopping with mum, Daniel”? I enquired.
We both probably had a slightly glazed look in our eyes at the thought…..  “No Thanks”,  this sounds like the chance for a boys day in! Xbox, chippies, ginger beer and no girls.  Dan seemed almost as excited as I am.  Dan explained to Isis, “sorry, you’ll have to wait outside, no girls” That’s a bit harsh I thought, surely a dog is exempt?  

Anyway, part of the excitement for me is being able to have the sound level more than one click away from mute.  In fact, if the sound level could be half a click away from mute it would probably end up being set there.  I’m not suggesting I am getting old or having trouble hearing but let’s just say if I moved close enough to the TV to hear it, I would no longer be able to see it properly, it would be too close….  Yeah, we will be able to hear the game….
Boys day in tomorrow Dan….

Saturday arrived.  “Boys day in Dad” said Dan.

“Yes, I’m going to have a shower and then we can go and buy some chippies, ginger beer and a new game to play”
Now I’m all clean, and ready for the boys day in.  I go to the kitchen, ask my Darling “Where’s Dan” “he’s in the Lounge” was the reply. “Boys day in Dan” I said as I walked into the Lounge. Dan is folding washing into little piles. (You’ve got to love how my Darling likes to include everyone, there’s always a deal to be made)… Folding washing, not quite the start I was looking for…
The girls are now ready to leave, “Please get the washing in at lunchtime and put the oven on at 4.00pm so that it is ready for when I get home (to cook wedges etc. that my Darling would pick up on the way home)”. (Again, you’ve got to love how my Darling likes to include everyone, there’s always a deal to be made).   

Not quite the plan for a boys day in, washing + cooking. Yes I hear you dear reader, perfectly reasonable things to ask and not a big thing to do. However dear reader, if you do think this then you do not really understand a boys day in, it’s just not part of a boys day in.

We went to the shop, bought the boys day in goodies, we also bought the dinner stuff and a few extra bits so my Darling did not have to stop on the way home (Yes, I agree, very sensitive and  thoughtful).  We also bought two copies of plants v zombies garden warfare to play and went home.
Yeah, boys day in, Isis, you can stay inside.

“Daniel, set up the Xboxes for the oncoming excitement” I said.
We cracked open a bottle of ginger beer and sat down to play. “hang on a mo, I just need to ring mum”
“Hi, just wanted to let you know we have dinner items, there’s no need to stop on the way home” I said. “Are you having a good time?”
“Yes” said the Light of my life, I have just bought a cool handbag that’s not that expensive now but was before I bought it (something like that anyway). That’s good I said I’m pleased you are having fun, it’s just that it’s a boys day in, and we’ve already started by folding washing, we are primed to take washing in at lunch time (I have set the timer on the oven to remind me, you know when you are in the heat of battle….), we are going to heat the oven and start dinner, and now we are talking about hand bags……..

So there we are playing xbox, chippies half gone first bottle of ginger beer finished (we do love that stuff) and there’s a beeping in the distance. I don’t think that was my zombie making that noise… “Why’s the oven timer on?” asked Dan.
“Come on, let’s get the washing in.”

Yeah, boys day in……

Right that’s done, back to the gaming.
I’ve always fancied myself as a bit of a gamer. Whatever game we play, Dan is always better than me. Case in point, at the end of the day I finished on level 6 with 8 achievements, on plant v zombies, Dan level 9, with 9 achievements. It’s a rare occasion when I do manage to beat him at something.  I’ve been playing xbox since before he was born, what’s going on? Why is he so much better than I am? I use to be able to run rings around him, but now the reverse is true, ever since he mastered the controller he can run rings around me, I do believe he mastered the controller at about 5 years old….
Still, I really enjoy playing with him, and I like it more when he is on my side…..

Yeah, boys day in….

No comments:

Post a Comment